Chulu west peak is another popular peak to climb among the Chulu peaks family(Chulu east, Chulu far east, Chulu central). Chulu west peak is 6419meters/21059.71 high which is situated north of Manang above the Ghyanchang Khola(river).
Although this peak doesn’t have much technical climb, it demands good physical condition and fitness to the summit. This peak comprises “base camp(4800m)” and “high camp(5550m)” before reaching the summit.
The Chulu west expedition begins with the scenic drive to Besisahar and to the small mountain village of Danakyu(2190m). After this, the trek goes to Chame, Pisang, and to Manang for other days wherein Manang we take an extra day for acclimatization to prepare ourselves better for higher altitude.
Leaving Manang, our trek goes to yak Kharka for the night and then climbs above the hill towards the northeast to get to Chulu west Peak base camp which will be set at the altitude of 4800 meters. At base camp, we again take acclimatization while you can enjoy beautiful Annapurna massifs and surrounding mountains.
On the following day, the climbing adventure goes to Chulu West Peak high camp which scrambles steeply on a rocky trail which is in a lovely setting by the glacier at the altitude of 5550 meters above sea level from where you also can enjoy an amazing sunset and sunrise view over the mountains. On the very day, we also take some essential climbing training such as using crampons and rope handling using ascenders and carabiners.
The final go for the summit begins very early around 2 o’clock then the walk goes on a rocky trail until the crampoon point where we put on our gears for climbing. The rest of the walk climbs on the ice and snow following the southeast ridge to the summit.
the summit of Chulu west provides a breathtaking 3600 view of surrounding mountains which includes Annapurna II, Annapurna IV, Annapurna III, Gangapurna, Khangsar Kang, Tilicho peak, Thorung peak, Pisang peak, Yakawa, and most of Damodar Himal.
How to get to the trailhead of Chulu west peak base camp?
You can take a private or tourist bus to the town of Besisahar, then you can either choose to continue walking following the classic Annapurna circuit trek until yak Kharka from where the path branches off northeast to the base camp.
Another option can be taking a drive or flight all the way to Pokhara and taking a flight to Jomsom and walking over the Thorung-la pass via Muktinath then descending to yak Kharka to head on to its base camp.
Chulu west peak climbing permits and fees.
- During the spring season (March, April, and May) it costs $250 USD per head.
- During the autumn season (September, October, and November) it costs $125 USD per head.
- During the winter season (December, January, and February) it only costs $70 USD per head.
- During the summer season (June, July, and August) it also costs $70 USD per head.
What is the best time to climb Chulu west peak?
There are two best seasons for climbing mountains in Nepal and so as for Chulu west peak which are autumn and spring season.
- The autumn season falls in the months of September, October, and November and during this season the weather is temperate as this fall just before the winter, as well as the sky, stays mostly clearer which is a good time for viewing the mountain's panorama from the summit.
- Spring season falls in the months of March, April, and May which are the best time for mountaineering as during this time of year also the sky remains mostly clearer as well as weather is more predictable and warmer on the mountain. There is very little chance of snow as well during this time of year.